Our little tradition known as the Irish Fireside Secret Santa Gift Exchange started back in 2009. Since then, it’s become a fun way for our online community to step away from their screens and earbuds and get a dose of real, offline interaction.
Here’s how it works… participants get the name and address of another Irish Firesider (those are folks from around the world who have a passion for Ireland and all-things-Irish), and they send a gift valued at about $10 (approximately €9 or £8) to another Irish Firesider. When everyone does what they’re supposed to… everyone who signs up gives one present and gets one present.
Here are the basics:
- Sign up before November 27.
- If you sign up and want to remove yourself from Secret Santa, you must do so by midnight EST, November 27).
- Buy or make a gift valued at about $10 (approximately €9 or £8) – Irish/Ireland themed gifts are always appreciated. Sorry, we aren’t able to sort participants by gender, so gender-neutral gifts are best.
- Your Secret Santa assignment will arrive on November 28 (that’s the person you’ll be sending a gift).
- Mail your gift by December 7 – be sure to include a short note – I know, the note kind of makes it a little less “secret.”
- When your gift arrives, snap a photo and email it to me for our Secret Santa Gift Report.
- In the unfortunate instance your Santa doesn’t send a gift, report them as a Deadbeat Santa between December 20 and 23.
- Don’t be a Deadbeat Santa.
- There is no fee to participate… just the cost of your gift + postage.
I should mention that past participants have taken Secret Santa very seriously. Your promptness, thoughtfulness, and creativity will be appreciated… and only SERIOUS GIFT GIVERS should sign up. Here’s a peek at past Gift Reports:
- Secret Santa Report 2015
- Secret Santa Report 2014
- Secret Santa Report 2013
- Secret Santa Report 2012
- Secret Santa Report 2011
- Secret Santa Report 2010
- Secret Santa Report 2009
Note: We’ve had Secret Santa participants from over 20 countries, so your gift could come from near or far… it’ll be a “secret” until your package arrives 🙂
SORRY, THE SIGN UP DEADLINE FOR SECRET SANTA HAS PASSED.