How Much Does a Trip to Ireland Cost?
– Tony via e-mail
This is one of the first questions people ask when they start planning a trip. Each visit is unique, so there’s no universal answer, but let me get the conversation started.
Remember, several factors come into play that affect the cost, such as how long you stay, what type of accommodations you prefer, what kind of dining you choose, what type of transportation you use, how many people you are traveling with, how much time you spend in cities, what you buy for souvenirs, and the list goes on and on.
I’m going to toss out an estimate for what I would call a middle-of-the-road budget (definitely not luxury, but well above travel-on-the-cheap). Remember, these numbers aren’t “firm,” but they should give you an idea of what to expect.
Here’s the criteria: one person traveling from North America for one week in the summer and staying at standard B&Bs/hotels and traveling Ireland by rental car with manual transmission (stick-shift).
|One week estimates (single)||€||$US|
|Car Rental + Excess Insurance||€550||$745|
|Sites & Attractions||€200||$270|
This trip could be done for less, and it could very easily be done for much, much more. Car rental is the expense that can vary the most… you may find quotes for only €120 ($162) per week, but that rate probably doesn’t include taxes, fees, and excess insurance (Super CDW), or you may find rates significantly higher depending on your exact dates.
Here are two other resources you might find handy in planning your budget:
- IrelandYes: http://irelandyes.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/how-much-does-a-trip-to-ireland-cost-2/
- Infinite Ireland: http://www.infiniteireland.com/it-costs-a-million-dollars-to-travel-to-ireland-a-million-dollars/
- Got Ireland: http://gotireland.com/2012/06/05/12-great-money-saving-tips-for-your-trip-to-ireland/
- Big World, Small Budget (in Canadian dollars): http://bigworldsmallbudget.com/2014/02/24/budget-breakdown-ireland-october-2013/
- Irish Fireside: http://irishfireside.com/2013/08/13/10-tips-that-will-make-your-trip-to-ireland-more-affordable/