Turlough Church & Round Tower
Ruined churches like this appear all across Ireland. This one in Turlough, County Mayo, is located very close to the Museum of Country Life.
It is believed that St. Patrick founded the church and monastery here and used the nearby holy well for baptisms. Not much is known about the monastery, but in 1351 the Pope settled a dispute over jurisdiction by placing it under the Archbishop of Tuam rather than the Archbishop of Armagh.
The Round Tower is especially squat and was built between 900 and 1200. Built into the 18th century church is an older window and Crucifixion plaque dated 1625.