89 Self-Catering Rentals & a Chat With Tom Sweeney
Episode Guide Chat With Tom Sweeney – Podcast #89
We answer some questions about self-catering accommodations and chat with Tom Sweeney about Irish-American culture and Irish music. CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON below to listen.
Our Podcasts are available on iTunes
The Devil’s Bit by Theresa Larkin & Noel McQuaid
Liam in Ireland and his blog entries at www.irishfireside.wordpress.com under Summer 2009.
Irish travel & culture headlines are posted every week on the blog www.irishfireside.wordpress.com.
Pre-Trip Packing list http://irishfireside.wordpress.com/2009/05/19/pre-trip-checklist
Friend us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Fireside/76119078717
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/IrishFireside.
A letter from Donovan from Fresno, CA
…My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip to Ireland. I was thinking about renting a house for one of the weeks, and then… staying in a few BB’s for the second week. Can you recommend a town or county in the south, east, or west that would be a good homebase to rent a house and stay for a week? Something that has a lot of nearby attractions and activities that will keep us busy for the week.
Self-Catering = Home Rental
Some suggested locations – more details for each spot in the podcast
- Killarney – Popular tourist town with excellent natural, historic and architectural sites nearby – Ring of Kerry
- Kenmare – Smaller town on the coast near Killarney – Ring of Kerry
- Dingle Peninsula & Dingle Town – Slea Head Drive
- County Clare – South Clare: Loop Head, Shannon Estuary, Dingle Peninsula – North Clare: Galway, Connemara – County Clare Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Lough Derg
- Connemara – Beautiful region, the village of Cong where the John Wayne Film the “Quiet Man” was filmed
- Clifden & Westport
- County Wicklow – especially if you want to include Dublin
Irish Travel Forums
A Chat with Tom Sweeney from the Twin Cities. He was part of our Irish-American Roadtrip (clip below).
- Doolin – McGann’s Pub
- Step Dancing
- Irish-American Community
- Irish Music
- Daithi Sproule (www.daithisproule.com), Paddy O’Brien (www.chulrua.com, www.doonceili.com), Brian Miller (www.evergreentrad.com) and Nora Rendell (www.norahrendell.com)
Tom Sweeney on our Irish-American Roadtrip
Brave Fenian Men performed by Tom Dahill and the Chancers (www.newgrangeproductions.com/bands/TomDahill.htm)