Shin and Guinness Recipe
2 lbs Round Steak
1 tbs Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
2 Carrots thickly sliced
1 tsp Brown Sugar
1 tbs Raisins (optional)
5 Small Onions chopped
300 ml Guinness
8 Slices Bacon (cut small)
3 oz Lard
2 Pastry Crusts
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Prepare filling (can be done while crust is prebaking):
- Cut the steak into bite-sized cubes, roll in seasoned flour.
- In a frying pan, brown floured steak with lard and bacon. Transfer steak to a casserole dish.
- Fry onions in the frying pan and cook until golden. Transfer onions to casserole dish.
- Add the raisins, brown sugar, parsley and 3/4 of the Guinness to casserole dish.
Cover casserole dish tightly and place in oven for 2-1/2 hours, stirring occassionally and adding more Guinness or water if gravy becomes too thick.
Prebake pie crust:
- Line pie pan with one pastry crust.
- Line the crust with parchment paper or a coffee filter and fill with dry beans or rice to help the crust hold its shape (making sure to push beans or rice right to the edges).
- Place in oven with casserole for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully remove the beans/rice and paper/filter.
- Place back in the oven for 5 more minutes – crust should be just turning golden brown.
- Remove crust from oven and allow it to cool slightly as the casserole continues to simmer.
Pour casserole contents into crust.
Cover with second pie crust.
Place in oven for about ten minutes or until top crust turns golden brown (if crust edges begin to darken early, use pie shields or foild to cover edges).